Presented at the 15th Annual Critical Issues Facing Children & Adolescents Conference.
The youth and healthcare professions can take a lot out of a professional. These fields attract incredibly caring people who are passionate about making a difference in the world. Too often we don’t discover the unseen price of that caring passion until we’re firmly ensconced in the field. Then we start noticing that stress, depression, anxiety, and relationship conflict increases in our lives—the very things we are trying to help our clients overcome. How did this happen? None of us signed up because we loved massive stacks of paperwork and constraining policies and procedures. These and other pressures, if we’re not careful, can sap our strength, will and passion and lead to burnout. This workshop provides some key solutions to turning stress and burnout around. This is not a “fluff” session to make you feel good. Your passion and expertise is needed in this field, yet our profession has a high level of burnout. This workshop is about practical hands-on, research- and evidence-based strategies to help you be the awesome passionate professional you are.
In this workshop you will:
- Experience acceptance: “You’re wiggin’ out… it’s okay… and here’s what you can do…”;
- Learn how to identify the signs of burnout, how to take steps to prevent and intervene with burnout in yourself and colleagues;
- Take the “The Strengths and ‘Just Stop It, Silly!’ Assessment” which will
- a. identify prevention and intervention tools which have worked for participants in the past and
- b. help participants develop an easy-to-implement “Personal Stress-Busting Formula” for their future use—from prevention to tertiary intervention;
- Learn 5 practical stress-busting mindfulness principles and practices which will help you
- a. develop clear balance and boundaries between self, work and family and
- b. learn how to maintain and enhance your innate passionate commitment to this field and to those you serve;
- Be able to use these transferable skill-sets at home, work and teach them to their clients;
- Get tons of fantastic handouts, worksheets, articles and resources you can use with yourself and your clients;
- Have fun.
“Dear Jonathan, I would like to thank you for your talk at the Critical Issues Facing Children and Adolescents Conference. For me it was the best talk of the conference. Truth is I have been burned out for a very long time. Your talk gave me renewed perspective and motivation. Your information was of enormous personal and professional benefit. Thanks so much for your time and energies!”